Saturday, January 1, 2011

What.

So today I come home from Jess's house to find this:



which is, if you can't tell, a bouquet of dead flowers on my doorstep. Which might be nothing, but given my associations with bouquets on doorsteps...not good. No note, so that's at least a relief.
It's probably a coincidence. Even if it's not a coincidence, I'm not telling the police yet, because like I said before, I think they're starting to dismiss me a bit.  So, either someone randomly left some dead flowers on my stoop, which I'm not discounting because I've seen stranger, or someone (Blue Scarf Guy?) knows where I live and is trying to tell me something. If it's the latter, they need to make their message a bit clearer, because I don't get it. Is it a threat, a proposition, a study in botany? They're tiger lilies, I think, if that means anything. I looked up the meanings of tiger lilies online (flowers have meanings, you know, which is why you shouldn't give lavender to your date). Tiger lilies apparently mean "wealth and pride" which...well, I don't have any money to speak of, and as for pride, I don't think I'm any more proud than anyone else. I don't know. It's all a bit stupid, and probably meaningless in the end.

In any case, no need to worry, I've got some insurance if Blue Scarf Guy or anyone else comes prowling. Yesterday I went to Goodwill and bought a baseball bat, which is currently sitting next to my door (which is locked and deadbolted at all times, by the way). It's got a nice solid heft to it and makes me feel pretty damn secure, frankly. It's weird, I'm not a violent person (I really, really hate guns) but having this weapon is doing wonders for my peace of mind. Of course, if anyone actually tries to break into my house I'd probably just scream and drop it on my own foot, but it's still somewhat comforting.

Oh, and the party was fun. Good friends, good food (Clara made a cake), and lots of not-so-great wine, but it was cheap, so what're you going to do.

It's just a pity that I had to come home to this slightly incomprehensible, slightly unnerving little offering.

Bonus pictures:
My bat (blurry, sorry). I'm naming it Balmung in a nod to Norse mythology, and because I'm a geek who names everything she owns (my bike is named Angela, and my laptop is named Clancy, for anyone who's interested).


Closeup of the flowers


No comments:

Post a Comment