Saturday, September 25, 2010

As promised...

...the art/music post. Which is different than I thought it'd be actually.

I decided to do this when I found this comic page, in a webcomic called The Secret Knots. By the way, I'd recommend The Secret Knots to anyone, comic reader or not (and I'm usually not) just because of the quality of the art and originality of the stories.
Apparently there's a lot of crossover between comics and music- I've got a comic book called Put The Book Back On The Shelf which is a compilation of comics inspired by Belle and Sebastian songs. I love Belle and Sebastian, and some of the art in the book is unbelieveably gorgeous (although my friend Jess, who reads a lot of comics, says the storytelling is crap- I really can't tell). There's also a Tori Amos comic out there called Comic Book Tattoo which I actually have never seen- someone will have to tell me if it's cool, although the cover art looks good.

When you think about it, the connection between songs and comics is very logical- they're both usually short forms of storytelling, and they can be either very straightforward or just a collection of images.
Man, Jess is going to kill me for this. She's very big on the writing part of comics, rather than the art.
Anyway, I usually don't find music related art without some element of words or lettering. I think it's because lyrics are such an important part of a lot of music (obviously not of classical, but I actually have yet to find any art related to classical music, other than portraits of composers. If anyone finds any, link me!).

Which brings me to my last link- William Duignan's flickr series "The Mixtape". I found his Subterranean Homesick Blues poster while searching for images of Bob Dylan for my userpic (hey, I have to maintain a theme, right?) and fell totally in love. I'm sure it helps that I love 4 out of 6 of the songs he chose (I have never heard Pink Moon or Overs, although I like Simon and Garfunkel a lot). Nevertheless, from a design point of view they're still extremely cool posters even if you don't like the music- they fit the style of the songs they're illustrating, and still look fantastic without being obvious. For example, the Dylan poster has all this frenetic energy in the text, and it looks extremely homemade, which fits the folk aesthetic. By contrast, the Sufjan Stevens poster is slick, abstract, and almost without any text at all, which fits his highly produced and orchestrated, dreamy musical style.
I love this guy. Mr. Duignan, would you marry me please? I totally love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment